Rautavaara: Chamber Music Bits 'n Bobs

 

LP cover of String Quartet 3 by Einojuhani Rautavaara from the Delme Quartet on Philips.



For this entry of my Bits 'n Bobs series, I look at two recordings of Rautavaara's last two string quartets. These are particularly hard to source, especially the Third String Quartet.



String Quartet 3

If I found Rautavaara's Second String Quartet modern and angular, the same goes for his String Quartet no. 3 of 1965, but set on a much smaller scale than the earlier quartet.

Again, Rautavaara makes the modernism a little easier to digest, for he tries to be as lyrical and melodic as possible within a world of serialism and dissonance. He is not much into extended string techniques in these pieces either, where the odd pizzicato or tremolo is really the only element which sticks out.

As far as I know, the Delmé Quartet is the only ensemble to have recorded the Third String Quartet, and I don't think it made its way to CD from its original LP sources, part of the Contemporary Finnish Music series on Philips. I will provide a YouTube video below, however realize it contains the entire album, where Rautavaara fits as the third item on the program. Sonically, though, it holds up really well.




CD cover of String Quartet 4 by Einojuhani Rautavaara from the Voces Intimae Quartet on BIS




String Quartet 4


I actually like this quartet quite a bit, at least compared to his Second 
& Third String Quartets. Rautavaara's 1975 String Quartet no. 4 may be longer, especially the nearly 11-minute first movement, but the music moves in ways I can really get behind.

Here, the composer does indeed employ extended string techniques, particularly a nifty little glissando portion in the first movement, plus the occasional sul ponticello. Yes, Rautavaara's Fourth String Quartet is decidedly modern again, however, I find it winsomely so, as in the highly melodic second movement, with its pacing accompaniment figures. The third movement is the only one to move with a fast tempo, where the harmonies are a touch harsher as well. However, on the whole, Rautavaara structures this music very well.

There are actually two recording of the String Quartet no. 4 from Rautavaara - The Voces Intimae Quartet on BIS from 1977, reissued in 1993, and the Sirius Quartet on Catalyst from 1994. The latter is hard to source digitally, but its extremely close-engineered recording makes listening uncomfortable, even if they pull of the glissandos ravishingly. I will include a video of the Sirius Quartet's first movement of Rautavaara below, in case someone is interested. The former group is better placed sonically, unsurprising with BIS, although their performance may be a little more work-a-day in comparison, yet I generally stick with them in this piece.










Bits 'n Bobs

String Quartet 3
  Delmé Quartet
  Philips; 1967
  (11:05)


String Quartet 4
  Voces Intimae Quartet
  BIS; 1977 / 1993

  (21.48)

String Quartet 4
  Sirius Quartet

  Catalyst, 1994
  (22.03)






Find more Rautavaara recordings HERE!


Comments