Liszt: Symphonic Poems & Symphonies

 

5CD set cover of symphonies and symphonic poems by Franz Liszt from Kurt Masur and the Gewandhaus Orchestra on EMI / Warner



Prelude

For this Works Series entry of Franz Liszt's orchestral music, I will be covering the 5CD set which includes Liszt's symphonic poems and symphonies While I have inserted older cover art above and below, this blog post actually contains my listening of the first through fifth volumes (of seven) from EMI / Warner's 2011 box set of Liszt's orchestral and concertante music with Kurt Masur and the Gewandhaus Orchestra performing.


It must be telling that Kurt Masur's traversal of Liszt's symphonic poems and symphonies are rarely out of print. EMI, and now Warner, have so many releases, it can be rather dizzying. You can find random symphonic poems on single discs, a single Liszt symphony tied with a handful symphonic poems on two  2CD volumes, and more impressively, both symphonies and all of the symphonic poems across 5CDs. As far as catalog numbers are concerned, Masur's set of orchestral music contains S. 95 - S. 111.

Why are these so popular that they are rarely out of the recorded catalogue. My guess is they represent one of the bolder, swifter views of Liszt from the latter half of the 20th Century. While many go for a passionate Liszt, ones which slather Romanticisms in a tug-and-pull fashion, Masur is punchy and to the point. This serves me especially well, for I think Liszt's orchestral creations can go on for too long, especially if we are stopping to smell the roses at every chance a conductor chooses.

There were a few moments where I believe Masur was too hasty, such as the finale of
A Faust Symphony, but in general, I enjoy the East-German conductor's firm hand in Liszt's music. It wouldn't surprise me if Masur timed faster than most other recordings, with his symphonies coming in some 10-minutes swifter than the norm. Don't worry, the Gewandhaus do not skate over the more dramatic moments. As a matter of fact, it is impressive that they capture the moods they do across these works.

There are three revered sets of Liszt's symphonic poems for which EMI /Warner competes. Many enjoy that from Bernard Haitink, which is a 4CD set on Decca without the symphonies. I simply wish Haitink would occasionally let his hair down and go for broke. The other is from 
Árpád Joó on Hungaroton and reissued on Brilliant Classics, with his coming on 5CDs, again without the symphonies. As opposed to Haitink, Joó and Masur also include the Two Episodes from Lenau's Faust, and Joó alone performs Szózat Und Hymnus. The Hungaroton set stands as a middle ground between the tempered Haitink set and the swift Masur set.

I mentioned a third set, that of Gianandrea Noseda on Chandos, a collection I often forget about, since it was never boxed up together; rather it sits still as individual recordings. In this one, Noseda leads the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra and includes not only the symphonic poems, but also the two symphonies. While Noseda does not include Lenau's Faust, he does provide Liszt's Deux Legendes, an interesting alternative for orchestra. I have not heard Noseda's Liszt, but I am intrigued, especially since Noseda times closely to Masur in the symphonies. However, I don't think I am wild enough regarding Liszt to pursue Chandos' five CD volumes any further than knowing it exists.

A promising start to a Liszt orchestral series came from Kirill Karabits on Audite, but ended up not being especially comprehensive. As far as I know, it hasn't actually been packaged up into a set, but includes both symphonies, yet does not include a complete representation of all Liszt's symphonic poems. I highlight Karabits' recordings, for it does have the much rarer 
Künstlerfestzug Zur Schillerfeier as well as Sardanapolo

Of course, there are many individual recordings of the symphonies, and shorter programs of the more popular symphonic poems in various pairings. Of these, ones by Bernstein, Solti, and Barenboim are most cherished by the general listener, although Masur helps me connect with the music much better than these guys. Those who enjoy historical recordings might be interested in Hermann Scherchen, who rides Liszt's orchestral music maniacally.

As it is, Liszt's orchestral music is hard enough to come to terms with, and Masur is one who makes it easier on the listener. I will say, I find the EMI sonics rather bright, where the low end of the audio spectrum is lacking, but such things make for an exciting ride. Plus, Masur's 7CD set includes Liszt's Piano Concertos and piano concertante music in addition to everything discussed above.

 

5CD set cover of symphonies and symphonic poems by Franz Liszt from Kurt Masur and the Gewandhaus Orchestra on EMI / Warner

 


Find more Liszt recordings HERE! 


5CD set back cover of symphonies and symphonic poems by Franz Liszt from Kurt Masur and the Gewandhaus Orchestra on EMI / Warner

Comments