Atterberg: Symphonies

 

Box set cover of the Symphonies by Kurt Atterberg from Ari Rasilainen on CPO



Divider

I knew I would love the symphonies of Swedish composer Kurt Atterberg. Too many superlatives have been thrown at these works over the years, I had little fear. I did, however, shudder at the label of late-Romanticism attached to the composer. Yet, he rises above the label, one I associate with endless melodic lines, high chromaticism, and gangling, never-ending, amorphous forms.

Thus, Atterberg is a composer who provides the listener big motto themes, cinematic harmonies, and coherent structures. In this vein, I most associate these terms with Symphonies nos. 1, 2, 5, and
 7, where virile and robust musical ideas and orchestrations meet with great satisfaction for the listener. 

Symphonies 3, 6, 
and
9 find Atterberg looking to portray something different. The Third Symphony is a broad favorite of listeners, where the composer goes for Impressionism and lyricism in the outer movements, while the Sixth Symphony is geared for wit and humor. The Ninth Symphony comes with vocal soloists and chorus, and truly should be a cantata instead of a symphony. Symphonies 4 & 8 are based on Swedish folk songs, but they are used as symphonic motivic devices rather than a potpourri of tunes.

Ari Rasilainen prefers a buff, grandiose vision of Atterberg's symphonies. At times I found the sound he elicits from the orchestras as a huge wall of sound, almost on the edge of impenetrable. Despite this, Rasilainen forges ahead, so speed isn't really an issue with the Finnish conductor.

For the five volumes, three orchestras appear. The Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra appear on Symphonies 1, 2, 4, and 5 and is my favorite ensemble of the trio. CPO does a better job of engineering them too. The NDR Philharmonic Orchestra plays Symphonies 3 and 6, plus the vocal-infused Ninth Symphony, the latter with the NDR Choir. I found these recorded at a lower level, requiring the listener to goose the volume in order to feel the true impact of the performances. The SWR Symphony Orchestra covers only Symphonies 7 and 8, so I never really had a sense of their character in this music. Either way, these are all excellent regional German ensembles.

My smallest of issues concerns orchestral balances. The strings are front and center, so wind doublings are subtle affairs. CPO boosts wind solos, but then those instruments retire to their background position. This is where Chandos' Atterberg symphony cycle has the upper hand, for the winds are allowed to burst through the texture colorfully. The detriment there is 
Neeme Järvi's brusque, headlong tempos, assailing the music without a thought to dwell occasionally.

Of course, those looking for a lighter approach to Atterberg's symphonies should seek out the Sterling label, and those led by Stig Westerberg and friends. These seem more characterful, without the heavy hand of Rasilainen and 
Järvi. Of course, you can find names such as Toscanini, Beecham, Ehrling, Jurowski among others.

Lovers of Atterberg's symphonies will want to have them all, but CPO's set is an excellent choice to experience them. I think Rasilainen is somewhat more convincing than 
Järvi, but really, they are more complementary with each other than adversaries. The box set comes with five separate CD jewel cases, so if purchasing them separately is cheaper, you would be getting the same product, just without the outer slipcase. Even the box set cover art is the exact same as Vol. 1.

 

ox set back cover of the Symphonies by Kurt Atterberg from Ari Rasilainen on CPO


Works
Symphony 1 & 4 (61.55)
Symphony 2 & 5 (75.34)
Symphony 3 & 6 (68.18)
Symphony 7 & 8 (63.33)
Symphony 9 & The River (60.35)


Soloists (Sym 9)
Satu Vihavainen, mezzo-soprano
Gabriel Suovanen, baritone

Performers

NDR Choir (Sym 9)
Prague Chamber Choir (Sym 9)
Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
NDR Philharmonic Orchestra
SWR Symphony Orchestra
   Ari Rasilainen, conductor

Label
: CPO
Year: 1998 - 2003; 2004 (set)
Total Timing: 5.29.55






I generally consider Kurt Atterberg the successor of 
Antonín Dvořák as a symphonist. They both have a dynamic way with the symphonic form which is immediately appealing.

CPO's 5CD set is not perfect, but I don't think there is a perfect set out there anyway. Rasilainen's German orchestras are excellent throughout.





Find more Atterberg recordings HERE!

 

Comments