Parry: Piano Trio 1 & 3

 

CD cover of Piano Trio 1 and 3 by Hubert Parry from the Leonore Trio on Hyperion



While Hubert Parry could be pigeonholed as a composer of rather sober, less-than inspired music, this recording of his Piano Trios grabbed me right from the start and never let go.

An audible gasp escaped my mouth as the Leonore Trio pounced upon the first movement of Parry's Piano Trio no. 1 in E minor. The composer is chock full of musical ideas in this first movement, and his thematic ideas are all winners. Once the listener makes their way to the second movement, one realizes this First Piano Trio is Hubert Parry absolutely letting his hair down, wild and free; at least if he had any on top. I haven't heard such carefree music from the composer since his Piano Concerto in F-sharp Major; otherwise he is rather buttoned-up compositionally. Maybe having the piano involved is the common denominator here.

The second-movement Scherzo is an absolute blast as far as playfulness is concerned, with the cello pizzicato syncopations a fun texture, while the first movement really lets the piano rip-roar in a grand manner. I really enjoy the peaceful nature from the opening of the third movement, where the violin and cello trade melodic details. The music becomes more intense as the movement wears on, where Parry has a knack for instrumental interactions and conversations. The final movement is found in high spirits, albeit in unusual shades of light and dark, a fitting end for such an affable, characterful work.

Parry's Piano Trio no. 3 in G Major is a little more conservative, but still contains plenty of personality. The second movement Capriccio sets a dance of sorts, one that is somewhat exotic, partially wooing serenade, and all character. The same could be said of the third-movement Lament, however, here Parry is all business, with a grim seriousness pervading. The outer movements are less remarkable, although the composer imbues his love of Baroque counterpoint into the finale, and the general counterpoint of the three instruments are always on the move in Parry's hands.

Essentially, the Partita in D minor is a six-movement Baroque dance suite 
for violin and piano. Movements titles such as Sarabande, Courante, and Bourrée depict the older musical form, with a definite French flavor from the past informing Parry's Partita. The range of the violinist is excellent here, ranging from dewy sweetness to throaty low tones. Truthfully, I would have loved this piece placed between the two Piano Trios, offering a palate cleanser betwixt the two larger chamber works, although I could arrange them how I wish with a remote.

I think much of the success of this recording for me must come from the three musicians from the Leonore Trio. They positively leap at Parry's music with wrought passion, playing as if Parry's Piano Trios were the finest, most important music to be recorded. The string tones are firm and strong, with plenty of vibrato. I could imagine some more sotto voce from the violin in particular, yet I enjoyed the all-in attitude from the players across these works. The piano has a mellow tone, but does not take away from its strength or depth. Occasionally I thought the middle range of the cello was obscured some by the piano, but nothing glaringly covered up.

If I had a recording of the month, this would probably be it, along with George Enescu's Piano Quartets on CPO from earlier. I was charmed and involved with this music and its performers right from the outset. In lesser hands, this could have been plain, drab, middle-of-the-road music, but the Leonore Trio elevates Parry's compositions about as far as I could imagine.

 

CD back cover of Piano Trio 1 and 3 by Hubert Parry from the Leonore Trio on Hyperion


Works
Piano Trio 1 in E minor
 (25.06)
Piano Trio 3 in G Major (28.51)
Partita in D minor (15.35)


Performers
Leonore Trio
  Benjamin Nabarro, violin
  Gemma Rosefield, cello

  Tim Horton, piano

Label
: Hyperion
Year: 2019
Total Timing: 69.33

 


I need to go back to Parry's other compositions and recordings to determine if they were all played with such passion as here, if his star would rise among the classical music community.

As it is, the Leonore Trio presents Parry's piano trios in a most positive light, one which grabs the listener from the outset.

Consider me impressed!






Find more Parry recordings HERE! 

Comments