Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Delightful, Yet Quite Long

 

I was recently smitten with Franz Schmidt's Piano Quintet in G Major and Clarinet Quintet in B-flat Major.

Well, the Clarinet Quintet in A Major pretty much falls in line with my feelings on those other chamber works, and Schmidt's String Quartets are worth getting to know too.

I mention this because his orchestral music was hit and miss for me. This was often due to too much chromaticism, masking the structures of the music. That is here too, but Schmidt offers strong melodic hooks, a positive genial musical attitude, all amongst his love of chromaticism.

While I am charmed by the A Major's music, boy is it long. This recording is nearly 70 minutes long, all for one chamber piece. On that subject, CPO brings in their recording at 63 minutes, and Marco Polo in 60 minutes, yet I never thought this recording on review felt slow nor monotonous. As a matter of fact, the really close instrumental perspective in the Waco, Texas hall kept things lively and exciting throughout the entire runtime.

Whereas in the other Quintets I felt Schmidt nicely melded the piano, strings, and clarinet, here there is an obvious showcase for the pianist, with many extended solo moments. Otherwise, the ensemble comes together beautifully and Schmidt is in top form throughout.

Particularly noteworthy is the final movement. I love the opening clarinet theme, the following piano solo, and its many later variations; the melody is to die for and the varied harmonies attached to it are great. All in all, Schmidt structures the work well, has some hooks for the listener through tunes and textures, and the work is a sheer delight. It is long, though...

The Centaur sonics are crystal clear, and as I mentioned earlier, very close. The Baylor University and Stephen F. Austin State University professors play this music with vitality, and easily put a smile on my face with their entire end product. Terrific!




Listen on YouTube



Works
Clarinet Quintet in A Major (69.17)

Soloists
Christopher Ayer, clarinet
Kae Hosoda-Ayer, piano (left-hand)

Ensemble
Jennifer Dalmas, violin

Kathryn Steely, viola
Evgeni Raychev, cello

Label
: Centaur
Year: 2015
Total Timing: 69.17





After not really taking to Franz Schmidt's orchestral works, I was not enthusiastic approaching his chamber music.

Perhaps my guard was down and it gave me the one-two punch, but I have been enjoying almost all of his chamber efforts.

The acoustics on this one beat out the competition, even if it times a little longer.








Find more Franz Schmidt recordings HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment