Wednesday, September 4, 2024

A Hit-and-Miss Case

 

Such is my relationship with the music of Franz Schmidt.

Yet, there seems to be no in between; either I really like his music, or it does nothing for me at all.

In this case, I love Schmidt's A Major Quartet. There is a pleasing motivic development and the vacillating harmonic movement absolutely captures my imagination. His structures are easy to follow, and the composer's penchant for chromaticism doesn't get in the way of any other musical aspect.

I would not be surprised if some considered this quartet one of the greats of all time, and with some time, I think I could see myself saying the same. It is its sunny atmosphere which stays with me overall, and if someone gave it a 'pastoral' subtitle, I wouldn't argue. It is a musical picture of excellence!

The String Quartet in G Major is the one I can't latch onto. Here, the chromaticism does get in the way and I have trouble following along with Schmidt's structures. Focus is important to me, and the late-Romantics can be hit-and-miss with me. I hear snatches of this and that which could hold my attention, but the follow through is where he loses me.

This Nimbus recording is frustrating to a degree as well. It sounds harsh and slightly tinny, where Schmidt really needs a luxurious sound. The Franz Schubert Quartet of Vienna is sweet enough in this music, plenty musical too, but I don't sense they give this music its full weight and the performers could vary the tempos more than what sounds mostly comfortable here.

Now the problem. The Moyzes Quartet also covered Schmidt's string quartets on Opus Import shortly after this recording, but it has vanished from the Earth. Go ahead... try to find it somewhere! The Moyzes are not the most put together ensemble either, but they go headlong at the music, making it much more convincing.

This recording will do, but let us hope we aren't left with just this recording for a lifetime.



Listen on YouTube



Works
String Quartet in A Major (38.42)
String Quartet in G Major (38.56)

Ensemble
Franz Schubert Quartet of Vienna
Label: Nimbus
Year: 1996
Total Timing: 77.53




If you know anything about me, I won't give up on music which doesn't reach me, but for now, this recording has one I love and one I don't care for.

If the stars truly aligned, a competent quartet will pick these up and do them proper justice.

Well... we don't have that yet. As my mother used to tell me, 'If wishes were horses, beggars would ride'.





Find more Franz Schmidt recordings HERE!


No comments:

Post a Comment