Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Beyond the Bachianas

 

Having recently made my way through Villa-Lobos' Bachianas Brasileiras and Chôros, I was curious to remember what else the Brazilian composer had in store.

Atmosphere. That is what I notice more than anything else in these four symphonic poems / ballets. Slow moving atmosphere which develop in waves and stabs of sound rather than through any perceptible musical structure.

These are not particularly tuneful either, yet they are full of interesting rhythms and orchestral colors and textures. While the Amazonas is a relatively early number for the composer, the other three are quite late works, yet they all fit together as a piece pretty well.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out Villa-Lobos admired the music of Stravinsky, for I hear echoes of The Firebird and The Rite of Spring in these 10-20 minute orchestral works. It is the primitivistic aspect which is apparent, and mixed with Villa-Lobos' penchant for Brazilian heritage and tribalism, can be quite effective.

On the other hand, these are tough on a first listen. I have come around to them after repeated listenings, for the more I recognize their patterns, the more I can get my head around this music. So don't expect an easy time of this music, but also, none of this is forbidding either.

Most surprising is the fine orchestral playing from the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra under Roberto Duarte. With these Marco Polo recordings, I expect scrappier playing or harsher audio, but I was pleased with both upon listening.
In many cases, these works can't be found many other places either, so having them altogether here is a treat regardless.

I think I will continue with Roberto Duarte's Villa-Lobos on Marco Polo and see what more he has to say about this music. I might not be enamored with this program, but I like what I hear nonetheless.



A review from 2024


The further I get from Brazilian composer Villa-Lobos’ populous-pleasing Bachianas Brasileiras and Chôros, the more time I need to spend with his music. None of this music is ever tough, but on an initial listen, these aren’t the easiest either.


These four ballets / symphonic poems are all about atmosphere and orchestral color. Shimmery textures with stabs of rhythm permeate these 10-20 minute works over anything melodic or tightly structured. I don’t think it too far-fetched to hear influences of Stravinsky here, particularly the tribalism and primitivistic aspects.


If anyone is afraid to approach these older Marco Polo recordings from an Eastern European orchestra, have no fear. The playing is great and the audio isn’t too shabby either. Roberto Duarte and his Bratislava ensemble came together for a few Villa-Lobos orchestral outings in the 90s, and I can hear the joy they had in setting these down.


This might not be my first stop for introducing someone to the music of Villa-Lobos, but spending some time with this recording has endeared me to these works, ones which rather hard to find on record.




Listen on YouTube


Works
Gênesis
(18.31)
Erosão (19.44)
Amazonas (13.02)
Alvorada na Floresta Tropical
(10.02)

Performers

Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra
Roberto Duarte, conductor

Label: Marco Polo
Year: 1991
Total Timing: 61.30





While I am not particularly taken with this music, I do like these performances.

Perhaps it says something that these are not recorded often. Sometimes it takes someone who is passionate about a composer's music.

Roberto Duarte may be that person.

 

 

 

 

 

Find more Villa-Lobos recordings HERE!


No comments:

Post a Comment