Monday, August 12, 2024

Still a good Mahler 9

 

I mentioned in another Mahler symphony review that I am not much of a comparative listener.



Here is where comparative listening helped me, though. When writing these reviews, I have gone through most of Solti's Mahler symphony cycle, but I also paired his with another recording of the same symphony.

In the case of Symphony no. 9, I listened to Karel Ancerl's 1966 recording with the Czech Philharmonic.

Overall, I found that one much more characterful, particularly the inner movements, where Solti left me cold. On that note, sometimes I am very much in the mood for Solti's clear-eyed, virtuosity, but with this symphony, one which wrings every drop of Mahler's final moments, I am not so sure it works as well.

No blame on the London Symphony Orchestra though, for they play great here. Truth be told, I think Solti excels in the outer movements, where his propensity for symphonic structures are real strong points in this recording. Better yet, this is generally played for beauty than thrills, as with Mahler's 4th, where Solti whips up lovely tones from the ensemble.

That, and I love these Australian Eloquence recordings, with the exception of Mahler's Symphony no. 3 with Solti and London; too grotesque for me! At least this Ninth Symphony comes on just one disc.

 

A review from 2024

In general, Solti’s recordings of Mahler with the London Symphony Orchestra in the 60s are preferred over his later Chicago ones. I would agree with such a statement, except perhaps for Symphony 3, but otherwise I enjoy these symphonies from Solti and London together.

 

Symphony 9 is a rather personal work, and one of few which Mahler allows to trail off quietly, not his usual symphonic modus operandi. Solti is a little no-nonsense in this sense, although I do think he paces the opening and finale very well. On the other hand, I find his second movement a little too clean, and the third too focused on virtuosity, without the character and charms I would like.

 

The London SO sounds great here though, and while there was one moment of crush at a loud bass drum moment, this is well recorded. I am not sure I am totally onboard with Solti’s cool view of the Mahler 9, but it is a very good performance.

 


Listen on YouTube


Works
Symphony 9
  I. 27.05
 II. 16.37
III. 13.10
IV. 22.56

Performers

London Symphony Orchestra
Georg Solti, conductor
Label: Decca
Year: 1967 / 2017
Total Timing: 80.03



I like this Mahler 9, but I have to be in a mood for detached emotion, which this symphony doesn't afford as much as others.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Find more Mahler recordings HERE!




No comments:

Post a Comment