Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Where did the 6th go?

 

For some reason, despite a proclivity for Solti's Mahler recordings in my collection, his Symphony no. 6 is not there anymore.


So I tracked it down elsewhere to revisit with the Yoel Levi recording on Telarc. While I respect that recording quite a bit, and enjoy listening to it greatly, this Chicago recording is a blockbuster.

Not surprising with this team, one I usually enjoy in Mahler. This was another early recording between Solti and Chicago, I believe at the same session with the gutsy Symphony no. 5 in 1970.

Solti is a little more saccharine with the soaring strings, the brass sting a mite more, and he plays with the balances of tempos and the emphasis of beats more than Levi. I also like the analogue sound more too; some might not like how instruments leap out, but I find it rather exciting and colorful compared to a homogenized concert-hall sound.

Solti brings the symphony in on one CD, just like with Yoel Levi mentioned earlier. While Solti brings in the last movement 4 minutes quicker comparatively, Levi brings in the opening 4 minutes quicker; otherwise they time very closely overall.

In Chicago, the final movement moves at a great pace, not luxuriating in the juxtaposition of moods, yet Solti is in it for the spectacle, as always. So too, the Andante is not as calm and heartfelt as I might like, but who can ignore such fine horn playing?


 Listen on YouTube

 

Works
Symphony 6
  I. 21.06
 II. 12.33
III. 15.30
IV. 27.40

Performers

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Georg Solti, conductor
Label: Decca
Year: 1970 / 1992
Total Timing: 76.56

 

 


I need to explore more of the Sixth Symphony, which like Mahler's 4th, is not one I visit all too often. I really should, because this slow movement is easily a favorite of mine.

For now, Solti and Chicago will ride high until I can get out more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Find more Mahler recordings HERE!





No comments:

Post a Comment