Thursday, July 25, 2024

Not Solti's Bag

 

I'll admit Mahler's 4th isn't one I visit too often.

I'm not sure why, either. I like Mahler's view of life, full of positive inquiry and a respect of nature and its spirit.

Yet, I also enjoy the tumultuous journey Mahler leads me on in the previous symphonies. I don't get that in Symphony no. 4, insomuch as a series of affable country dances and a cheery vocal epilogue.

So too, the nature aspect is abbreviated and less apparent. I hear hints of birds and forest murmurs, particularly in the opening movement, but not much more. Not that I need that aspect, but something more to grasp onto. Perhaps I haven't found the right performance to draw me in yet.

With the lack of music requiring a rougher handling, it comes as no surprise this isn't my favorite outing from Sir Georg in Mahler. It is beautifully played, but rough edges aren't to be found, even in the characterful 2nd movement, something I assumed would be right up Chicago's alley.

Well, if nothing else, Kiri Te Kanawa's brief presence is a treasure.




A review from 2024

In Mahler’s Symphony 4, most point to Solti’s 60s recording with the Concertgebouw as the superior over this 80s Chicago one.

The high point here is having Kiri Te Kanawa at its conclusion. Her soprano is quite appealing, not overly heavy or matronly, but with the right amount of piping brightness and sincerity this role requires.

 

While the Chicago SO plays this work beautifully, I daresay the orchestra underplays its character, particularly in the 2nd movement Scherzo. I expected a fair more edge to the instrumental soloists and winds, instead of the generalized loveliness we receive.

 

Perhaps it is because Mahler’s Fourth doesn’t contain the stürm und dräng the others exhibit, so the dramatics are kept at bay. That doesn’t make this recording a poor one; it just left less of an imprint or musical personality Solti normally imbues into Mahler’s symphonies, usually for better or worse. Still, it is worth a listen.

 


Listen on YouTube

 

Works
Symphony 4
  I. 16.20
 II. 9.32
III. 20.06
IV. 8.25

Performers
Kiri Te Kanawa, soprano

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Georg Solti, conductor
Label: Decca
Year: 1984
Total Timing: 54.23

 

 

 
Not my most visited of Mahler's symphonies and not a recording which particularly stands out to me.

Many enjoy Solti with the Concertgebouw some 20 years earlier, but my guess is Mahler 4 just wasn't Solti's bag.

 

 

 

 

 

Find more Mahler recordings HERE!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment