Monday, May 6, 2024

What is it about Life and Love?

If I have a problem with this recording, it isn't with the music, which represents the younger side of Delius.

No, it is the Dutton sonics, an aspect I don't usually have qualms with. Otherwise, I enjoy the late David Lloyd-Jones handling Delius' music, and the RSNO is always a joy to hear.

 

A review from 2024

 
Frederick Delius’ music is Romantically voluptuous, yet with the touch and colours of an Impressionist. In this program featuring the composer’s earlier works, the highs are more ecstatic than usual, and I dare say he sounds a bit like Richard Strauss at times.

It is the two tone poems, Life’s Dance and Poem of Life and Love, which give me these impressions. Delius can be a tough composer to get to know, for his beautiful, but snoozy summer garden compositions can leave one drowsy. Here, the highs and lows of his music are wider, and I think I like that aspect regarding these works, even if they tend to meander a mite too long.

The concert suites, taken from Delius' operas, are an excellent chance to get closer to those works. There is a touch more surliness evident, not an aspect I usually expect from the composer. Sir Thomas Beecham and David Matthews, who put together the suites posthumously, show a nicely varied progression of the music.

I am not wild about the Dutton sound here; the balances take some getting used to and the climaxes sound a touch rough. However, I do like the playing of the RSNO, whose brass like to punctuate this music strongly, and I also like that David Lloyd-Jones, as in his other traversals of Delius on Naxos
, doesn’t hold this music too gently, as can too often be the case.

Much of this music isn't easily found elsewhere either, so for lovers of Delius, this will be a mandatory stop. Recommended.

Works
Village Romeo & Juliet Suite (21.59)
Poem of Life and Love (17.04)
Irmelin Suite (15.20)
Life's Dance (13.17)

Performers
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
David Lloyd-Jones, conductor

Label
: Dutton
Year: 2011
Total Timing: 68.08


 

Mandatory for Delius lovers only.

Otherwise, this would not be the place to start with Delius, nor was I pleased with the sonics.

Rarely recorded music, however.

 

 

 

Find more Delius recordings HERE!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment