Thursday, June 15, 2023

Liner Notes from Hades

Should a recording be mainly remembered for its liner notes?

While I appreciate the 8 pages of information within CPO's physical media, my memories of Eckhardt van den Hoogen's musings are akin to a drug-fueled nightmare.

There are more asides present than a Family Guy episode, and by the time we get anywhere near information relevant to Hausegger's Nature Symphony, I've given up hope for a better day.

Something only experienced to be appreciated, I suppose. I suspect something is lost in translation, however, I also suspect more at play...

The actual piece of work is notable for it Resurrection Symphony style conclusion; the finale makes the long journey worth the wait. Not that it is a bear to get through, but late Romanticism was never my favorite of Classical music genres.

That makes this recording all the more valuable, for I never need to check my watch, nor fold laundry in order to get through it. Of course, I can't remember a time I've done either of those during a dedicated listening.


A review from 2023

German composer Siegmund von Hausegger’s magnum opus must be his Nature Symphony. Nearly 60 minutes in length, the symphony has a large and varied orchestration, plus pipe organ, bolstered by a surprising choral peroration. Suffice to say, the work is an event to be experienced.

I don’t normally go in for late-Romanticism, I generally find its music meandering and formless to my ear. Hausegger’s Natursymphonie mostly rises above it all by setting some memorable musical moments across its runtime.

The opening craggy melody, played heroically on horn, boldly opens the work, but its leaping theme lays some doubt on what kind of musical experience this work has in store. It eventually leads into some lovely scurrying and pastoral wind work, only pausing for some broad lyrical string moments.

Movement two is taken over by a slightly-exotic, trudging march that would fit the traveling theme of the Three Wise Men in a Christmas oratorio; it is the dramatic, ear catching centerpiece of the entire work and a most unexpected one at that.

The 3rd movement is a vigorous affair, and along with the lengthy first movement, shows a cinematic flair in Hausegger’s harmonies and percussion-laden orchestrations. The final ten minutes are dedicated to chorus and orchestra, bringing the work to an all-stops-out triumphal paean.

My only hesitation lies with in liner notes that come with the physical media. While there are 9 pages with 17 columns of text, a kingly amount of information, much of it is bloviatingly self-important, with knowing asides that leave the reader unknowing, and somehow rambles without informing the reader much about anything. The worst!

On the other hand, the Cologne performers are all top notch, and CPO captures Hausegger’s colours clearly and with firm impact. There aren’t any other recordings of this work that I am aware of, so it is a real treat to have such a fine recording. Kudos to all involved!

 
Listen on YouTube
Works
Natursymphonie

Ensembles
WDR Radio Choir Cologne
WDR Symphony Orchestra Cologne
Ari Rasilainen, conductor
Label: CPO
Year: 2008
Total Timing: 56.37
 

At what point as a Classical Music listener does one get around to a work like Hausegger's Nature Symphony?

If I were smarter, perhaps earlier, but would I have been ready for a work like this? Possibly, but it is not my favorite genre, yet it has many more moments of greatness than not.




Find more Hausegger recordings HERE!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment