Monday, June 17, 2024

A Theme for Variation

A dedicated Theme and Variations has to hook a listener, or there is no hope of continuing.

There is nothing worse than waiting through a Theme and Variations to either be underwhelmed by a set of unimaginative variations, or becoming lost as to where the tune has gone. I like Dvorak's Symphonic Variations, but truth be told, it took me a few tries to wrap my head around its main ideas, to appreciate what comes after.

Hummel chooses the simple route. He writes a very identifiable, uncomplicated tune, which I think is very important for its later twists and turns. This is one reason why I think the Classical Era was more successful in this genre than the rest, generally speaking of course. Also, there are no fancy harmonic turns, although the second half offers more interesting harmonic movement than the first. I only mention this as Hummel plays around with the second half more daringly than the first.

There are only seven variations in Hummel's work, which for a 15-minute runtime, is probably just the right amount without tiring the listener with too much, but leaving them satisfied. And of course this is Hummel, so impressive piano wizardry will be on display as the work progresses.

While the A Major Piano Concerto leans more towards Classicism, I was generally pleased with the work as a whole. The F major Piano Concerto is big work here, and I was stunned by its quality. For some reason, I was really taken by these works and these performances. Some might find the abundance of Major keys and Classical Era propriety too much, but it didn't bother me at all. Enjoy!


A review from 2024

As with the others in Chandos’ Hummel series, this volume contains a hefty Piano Concerto amongst some lighter fare. In this case, its pairings made more of an impression on me, even if they are more Classically gentile rather than showing Hummel’s sproutings into the early Romantic Era.

The Piano Concerto in F Major is the major work. It favors Hummel’s surprising jaunts harmonically, but moreso his command of the piano keyboard. If this one isn’t as characterful as others, it is still a strong concerto.

I was rather taken with the simple theme, later given over to Hummel’s Variations. It certainly showcases the piano, but there are also some nice orchestral interactions as well. The Piano Concerto in A Major is even Classically lighter, but mightily pleasant it is too.

I have been listening to a lot of this Chandos Hummel series. For some reason this particular program took me more than some others. I could see some finding these too simple sounding, but perhaps that is what attracted me to these works.

Listen on YouTube


Works
Piano Concerto in F Major (28.17)
Theme and Variations in F Major, op. 97 (16.01)
Piano Concerto in A Major (23.14)

Performers
Howard Shelley, piano
London Mozart Players
Label: Chandos
Year: 2001
Total Timing: 67.42

 

While I was struck by this recording, I would understand if some found it all too simple, minus perhaps the later Piano Concerto in F Major

Plus, if you want a period performance, Brilliant Classics has some on offer from here.

Enjoy the music either way!

 

 

Find more Hummel recording HERE!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment