Wednesday, November 30, 2005

One to Revisit

Vernon Handley is not the first name typically associated with Delius. However this collection on Chandos, originally released in the 80's, is solid, if not more so.

The Florida Suite is a beautiful work, reminding me of another Delius US-based piece Appalachia. I am moved by the folk-like sensibilities they offer. Delius' masterpiece must be On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring. Gentle, yet musically inspirational; if I was only known for one musical work, I would sleep happily with Cuckoo.

I never took to North Country Sketches. Not that it offends me, but as with many other orchestral works from Delius, it is all too easy-going for my mind, depending on my mood. Air and Dance is one that doesn't appear too often, and is a nice bit of filler.

I really need to spend more time with this one; I haven't revisited it since 2005, but I retain fond memories of Handley & Co. in Delius' music

 


Listen on YouTube

Works
Florida Suitte (37.33)
North Country Sketches (28.44)
On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring (6.11)
Air and Dance (5.02)

Performers
Ulster Orchestra
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Vernon Handley, conductor

Label
: Chandos
Year: 2014
Total Timing: 78.38

 

Collections like this are always welcome, particularly from Handley in British repertoire.

Until I revisit this one, I will remain unbalanced on the scale, but I expect nothing but the best from these players.




Find more Delius recordings HERE!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment